[xoreos-devel] KotOR animations

Farmboy0 farmboy0 at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 26 12:36:38 CEST 2017

On 26.08.2017 02:40, Vsevolod Kremianskii wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Made some progress on KotOR animations. Commit from my latest PR enables
> xoreos to load position/orientation controllers from KotOR models.
> Compressed quaternions and 19 data column position controllers are not
> handled atm, though it seems to work OK with character models already. One
> problem I noticed is that characters fall through the ground when animated.
> Not sure what would be the right way to fix that (using bounding box
> maybe?).
>
>> The only reasonable way to implement this is by vertex shader.
>> (Thats how its done in jade and probably in kotor too.)
>> This means we need to wait for mirv to finish his shader rework.
> As for the skeletal animation, I was thinking about making a separate
> vertex buffer per each animation time key for the time being (at model
It would be best if you could talk to mirv on IRC about this.
But IMHO it is the wrong approach.
Because if I understood you correctly it means to compute the position
and orientation
of every vertex for every model per frame on the CPU.

The only vertex buffer should be the model data.
Then you add the MVP matrix, the time offset into the animation and the
position/orientation data of the animation as uniforms and let it all
compute
in a vertex shader.
This way only the MVP matrix and the time offset changes per animation
frame.