[xoreos-devel] Xoreos: What is your goal?

Sven Hesse drmccoy at drmccoy.de
Sat Dec 3 16:38:12 CET 2016

On 2016-12-02 23:27:57 -0800, Ray Maloney wrote:
> *why
> *are you reimplementing the aurora engine?

Well, there is an item in our FAQ for this exact question:
https://github.com/xoreos/xoreos/blob/master/FAQ.md#what-is-the-reason-for-creating-xoreos-in-the-first-place

:P

> Are you simply trying to make
> more games on that list playable in linux?

Yes, but not *just* Linux.

> Are you looking to improve on
> them and modernize them in some way, perhaps allowing the UI or controls to
> be overwritten with something more modern?

Possibly, in the future, but getting the games to work 100% like the
original comes first. And all further improvements need to be
optional.

> What you've done so far seems
> neat, but rather redundant, and I just don't understand why you're taking
> on such a large undertaking.

Okay.

> That said, I *WOULD* be all over a modern reimagining of NWN, with a better
> GUI (Scaled to fit your monitor with support for arbitrary monitor sizes so
> you can run the games in 1440p and higher without things being tiny, would
> be a great start) & less clunky controls, and less hardcoded character
> class stuff such that they could all be completely replaced and customized
> for a custom campaign/adventure  of some kind, perhaps with the ability to
> switch them over to Pathfinder or D&D 5e style Classes, feats, and
> abilities; or be able to change the implementation of the ruleset so that
> bonuses stack like they do in the tabletop game, or use the updated skill
> lists, or whatever.

With that amount and depth of changes, you're probably, quite frankly,
better served by creating a completely new game.

Then again, who knows what the future holds. xoreos is not far enough
at all for these kinds of changes in the first place. No rules are
implemented yet. One step after the other.