[xoreos-devel] Need help?

Sven Hesse drmccoy at drmccoy.de
Fri Jul 10 13:46:10 CEST 2015

Hej hej!

On 2015-07-10 13:00:22 +0200, Florian Straßer wrote:
> and maybe i can help testing on Windows and Mac OS Systems

That would be great! :)

Are you able to compile xoreos and xoreos-tools yourself? If so, you
could look if you can see obvious behavioural differences in xoroes
and the tools when running on Windows and Mac OS X, in comparison to
GNU/Linux.

Pointers on how to compile xoreos can be found on the relevant wiki
page: <https://wiki.xoreos.org/index.php?title=Compiling_xoreos>.
xoreos-tools is a bit more fiddly, because we have no CMake support
there. See also the Developer Central page for more general related
info: <https://wiki.xoreos.org/index.php?title=Developer_Central>.

There's also issue with fopen() (and general path weirdness) on
Windows. If you could check how xoreos behaves when running a game
from a directory with non-ASCII characters in it (for example, German
umlauts), that'd be great. From what I read, it'll probably fail
miserably. Probably ditto with trying to save the xoreos.conf
configuration file for users with non-ASCII characters in their
Windows profile name.

Likewise, a couple of days ago, I compiled a range of pre-release
binaries for xoreos-tools here:
<https://github.com/xoreos/xoreos-tools/releases>
Since I'm GNU/Linux-only, I have only tested the Linux binaries (and
only on my system), and the 32-bit Windows binaries with wine. The
others *should* work, but I'm of course not certain. If you could
check whether they run at all, that'd be neat. Especially the Mac OS X
binaries might be broken, because I modified the link libraries with
otool.

> and i would also offer to make an entirely new website for xoreos

Hmm, not sure about that. Right now, xoreos is built on Octopress
(<http://octopress.org/>, the web repository is
<https://github.com/xoreos/xoreos-web>). And while I'm not 100% happy
with it, it works reasonably well for what I want.

With Octopress, I can write blog posts and pages in Markdown, then
locally run a script that turns the Markdown into static HTML, and
that then gets copied onto the webserver. And that's basically what I
want. I don't want some PHP monstrum, but lightweight static pages.
I'm also not a fan of Javascript-heavy websites.

As for the design, well, I have no eye for design at all. If you think
you can spruce it up a bit, but without it feeling too needlessly
flashy, I'd like that.

> It would be so awesome if i would be able to play dragon age and
> many others on my iMac and Macbook at someday :)

There's still a lot of work to be done for that, though. :)

Cheers,
Sven