[xoreos-devel] Status request

Nathaniel Brandes ndbrandes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 08:19:39 CEST 2014

There are several ways you can help.

First, some background on reverse engineering: there are two main ways to
do it.

The first is to run the real game, and compare it to the emulator and
figure out what features need to be added. I have been using this approach
for the GUIs in KOTOR.

The second is to reverse engineer the executable, as discussed here.
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/HOWTO-Reverse_Engineering
As it mentions, an old version of the IDA debugger is free if you want to
try it out.

For KOTOR in particular, I have found Kotor Tool to be an excellent
resource when looking for the names of particular data files.
You can download it here:
http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/280-kotor-tool/

If you want to dive into a large system, then the TODO list can give you
some ideas: https://wiki.xoreos.org/index.php?title=TODO
If you want to start out with some smaller stuff, all of the GUIs need a
lot of work. Neverwinter Nights and KOTOR in particular are started but not
finished. The other games are in a very early state, with some inital

https://wiki.xoreos.org/index.php?title=Games lists what functions so far
per game.

Before you submit a pull request, please be sure to follow our coding
guidelines:
https://wiki.xoreos.org/index.php?title=Code_Formatting_Conventions

The wiki is also an excellent place to help out, if you are interested in
that. Please let us know if you want a wiki account either here or on IRC
(talk to DrMcCoy), and we'll get you squared away.
In particular, if you do any research, please add it to the wiki for future
reference.

We welcome any assistance you can provide.

ImperatorPrime

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 6:23 PM, Alex Rinehart <alexandersrinehart at gmail.com