[xoreos-devel] Upcoming xoreos repo changes, potentially invasive

Sven Hesse drmccoy at drmccoy.de
Wed Aug 19 20:54:36 CEST 2020

Hej,

just as a kind of public service announcement, I'm planning on
changing a few things in the code-base, related to the opening of
xoreos and xoreos-tools up to C++14.

One change already hit the repos, the removal of ScopedPtr/ScopedArray
in favour of std::unique_ptr<> (with std::make_unique<>()).

I also plan to replace PtrList/PtrVector/PtrMap with
std::list/std::vector/std::map containing std::unique_ptr<>, change
(or remove) DisposablePtr and move a few things around.

Even more invasive, clone2727 is working on two things:
- Replace our int32 etc. types with the stdint int32_t etc. types
- Remove UString, instead just use std::string for UTF-8 data, moving
  utility string functions into a Common::String namespace

This will fix two mistakes I made when starting this project that have
annoyed me for quite a while now.

Now, these changes will of course create conflicts in existing PR and
local branches, if you want to merge it with those changes. So I'm
holding this back for a bit for everyone to get their bearings there.

See the relevant branches here:
- https://github.com/clone2727/xoreos/tree/stdint
- https://github.com/clone2727/xoreos-tools/tree/stdint
- https://github.com/clone2727/phaethon/tree/stdint

And:
- https://github.com/clone2727/xoreos/tree/no-ustring (WIP)

I'm also offering to personally fix up any PRs or local branches
afterwards if you wish for that. I'd rebase it on top of the
then-current main branch with the invasive changes, modifying your new
commits to appear as if they were written on top of those changes to
begin with. (You're of course free to do this yourself if you feel up
to that and don't necessarily want me to mess with your code.)

Any thoughts, discussions, worries, complaints, etc. about these
changes?

Cheers,
Sven