[xoreos-devel] JE MDL's

Farmboy0 farmboy0 at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 5 00:12:44 CET 2018

Hello there,
Thank you for your message.

On 28.02.2018 14:52, Nicotine Caffeine wrote:
> Hi guys, i've seen just recently your site (and project) thanks to some our
> friends on the nwvault.. First thing in order is my compliments, all those
> games could do much much more than how in the end they have been used for.
> But i was writing you for another thing: one thing i've always wanted to
> do, was a mod for jade empire that allowed your character to change his
> wear, as, as a matter of fact, i think was also the original idea. Since
To change the character's dress you need to only change the texture not
the model itself or am I misunderstanding you here?
Changing the texture should be already possible without understanding
the whole MDL file.

> when you have to "infiltrate" the lotus you should then look like them for
> example... Or it's ridicolous that in the beginning everybody wear the
> "scholar" attire, but your character? Nah. Some time ago i've discovered
> that there was a way to use a model with different heads (i posted the
> how-to on a wiki page) still, if you wanted to change clothes again you had
> to re-edit the file and so on.. Let us say, not very practical. I've always
> wanted to make some mod for add maybe more specific attires and so on. But
> as you discovered the mdl files of jade empire are something different from
> others mdl of bioware. Until i saw your site though, i thought there was no
> chance opening them, (the most closer way for me was using the mdl to ascii
> for kotor, yet still, in the end, it didn't work anyway) but if you have
> discovered how, that would be really great!! I hope one day it will be
> possible a "converter" for the jade empire's mdl like kotor...

The MDL file format is largely known already.
The animations still have unknowns but I ma not sure how much that will
impact you.