[xoreos-devel] KotOR animations

Farmboy0 farmboy0 at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 25 19:22:47 CEST 2017

Hi,
On 20.08.2017 16:50, Sven Hesse wrote:
> Hej!
>
> On 2017-08-20 19:26:32 +0700, Vsevolod Kremianskii wrote:
>> Hello. I'm interested in tinkering with KotOR animations in xoreos. What is
>> the current state of that feature? I noticed there already is a dedicated
>> branch for that (kotoranim).
> Well, that branch is mainly there to hold a commit that displays some
> testing/debugging code to show how xoreos currently evaluates the
> KotOR animations.
>
> There's two issues with KotOR animations at the moment:
>
> First, we don't really know much about how the values in the model
> files should be interpreted.
>
> Second, we do know that the animations, or at least many of them, are
> bone-weight-animations. I.e. they only change the underlying skeleton
> (made up of model nodes), and the mesh vertices are then deformed,
> according to weights, to fit the skeleton.
>
> This is different from the animations in NWN that we currently
> support. There, the meshes aren't deformed, just rotated and moved
> whole-sale alongside the model nodes.
>
> We currently don't support deforming animations at all.
>
> (NWN also does deforming animations for some meshes, most prominently
> cloaks, but xoreos doesn't support that there yet either.)
>
> So basically, the first step would be to figure out how to interpret
> the animations values in the model files, or see if somebody else
> already has. From what I remember reading in the Deadly Steam forums
> (the most popular KotOR modding forums) [1], the KotOR modding
> community hasn't figured that one out either, so the information would
> be valuable to them as well.
>
> I'm not sure if Farmboy0 or Supermanu or anybody else did some
> research on this, though. Please chime in here if you have, thanks. :)
Actually most of the values for the Kotor model files are known.
Unknown are the lightsaber models and certain values for orientation
that are packed somehow. MDLops has a way to "unpack" these values
but Im not sure its 100% reliable.

But yes all of this is unsupported in xoreos atm.
> As for implementing this animation scheme in xoreos, that's going to
> be relatively difficult and fiddly. I myself am not sure how to do
> that right now either. Currently, the renderer in xoreos is
> fixed-function OpenGL, without any new features or even shader
> support. mirv is in the process of rewriting it to be a tad more
> modern, but it's going to take a while still.
>
> If you have any idea or experience there, that would probably be
> helpful. :P
The only reasonable way to implement this is by vertex shader.
(Thats how its done in jade and probably in kotor too.)
This means we need to wait for mirv to finish his shader rework.