[xoreos-devel] Parsing binary emitters

jbowtie jbowtie at amathaine.com
Tue Aug 14 00:33:12 CEST 2012

Hi, thanks for setting up the mailing list!

I've been looking into getting emitters working with NWN, which involves creating a particle engine. For some reason I'm having trouble parsing the binary emitter headers.

I'm using the Torlack binmdl documentation as a guide and cross-checking with the mdl2ascii ctools code, but I get exceptions when trying to parse the strings. If I just skip the appropriate number of bytes instead of reading into a UString, everything loads fine, which makes me suspect an offset issue.

I've opened up one of the offending mdl files in a hex editor and counted bytes, but everything looks fine at first glance. Some guidance in using GDB to pinpoint my issue would be appreciated - I'm not sure how to examine the raw bytes in the current parser context.

jbowtie